Sunday, January 23, 2011

Southern Sunday - Front Porches

Hello dear friends,
When I moved to Texas from Tennessee a couple of things stood out to me (besides the heat and lack of tall trees)...

Folks seem to prefer wooden fences to hide their backyard and rarely do you see a front porch.  Well, that's just not neighborly in my opinion.  Back home, the only reason you put a fence up is to keep your animals in or Barney Fife from knowing about your moonshine still.  Even then we used chain link fence and would keep the still in an out-building and just tell everyone that it was a fruit cellar.  wink wink

Front porches were for socializing, keeping tabs on your neighbors and for naps on summer days.  It's where as a kid I'd build pretend Barbie houses for my dolls out of seat cushions, read a book or sit to wait for my prince charming.  It's where I would hug my family when seeing them from being away for an extended time, watch for the ice cream truck and dress my little Pekingese up in doll clothes.

Back yards were great as a kid.  In the South, kids migrated from one house to the other to play.  If we were in the mood to play on a trampoline we'd go to the Bahors' house.  If we were in the mood to swing we'd hang out at mine.  If kids rode by on their bikes and saw us it wasn't uncommon for them to ride the bike into the backyard and join in.  Back yards were safe and full of adventure.  We would climb trees, steal tomatoes from the garden, build forts and tell secrets.  (Justin is so funny...Jimmy gave me this necklace from the gumball machine...)

During the summer at least one meal during any given day was eaten either on the front porch or in the backyard on a picnic table.  Momma would say it's to keep her house clean but I think she liked being outside just as much as we did. 

Seems to me that if we had more front porches and un-fenced backyards kids would be happier and healthier.  Folks would care about their neighbors more.  But, maybe that's just the Southern girl in me talking.

Best wishes and high hopes to everyone,
Jennie and the back-yard playing, front-porch missing Pekes

3 comments:

  1. I read a quote somewhere (can't remember who) that was something about the world is in the mess it's in because we no longer have front porches! I agree whole wholeheartedly..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey stranger! I love this post. Being the Tennessean that I am, and also growing up for a few years in Dallas, I SO understand what you are saying. I came to TN when I started fourth grade and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. And yes, my house in Texas had no front porch and a huge wooden fence, as did everyone else. But when I came to TN, no fences and I would be out playing until the sun went down. I sigh my kids could have that part of my childhood. Things just aren't as safe as they used to be.

    On another note, I appreciate your recent visits and comments to my blog. It is so neglected. And I so appreciate your comments on my dear pup. I wrote that post ahead of time, because I have been dreading this day and am trying not to think about it. I still can't look at a picture of her without loosing it. We were blessed to have her for the time that we did, and I am blessed to have a friend like you who understands me and to help me through the day.

    We need to catch up! Send me your email addy sometime so we can chat. RLSecrist@aol.com Hope life is treating you well my friend! xoxo Rhonda...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post.

    In September I moved to a new house with a wonderful back porch and I am so very much looking forward to the spring when I can enjoy it. :)

    Btw, my little doggie had a play date yesterday with a pekingese named Sakura (cherry blossom). They bit each other a few times, but other than that they had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete